Monday, February 27, 2006

Annabelle


Above: Drawing by Annabelle(2001)


Here's a project I've been working on since early 2001. Ah, the spring of 2001... I was living in a crack house in Columbus with a couple of other artists, having finally graduated from my third college. I was putting my B.F.A. from Ohio State to good use, earning eight bucks an hour as a laundromat attendant. These were heady times; optimistic days before a handful of dickhead arabs, apparently acting on orders from the Commitee to Re-elect Gary Condit, decided to harsh the 21st century's mellow and give our new president the opportunity to accomplish the most catastrophic failures of his already storied career as a grade-A fuckup. But I digress....

In the nascent 21st century, there existed something called 'Napster'. It was a vast virtual library of music, stocked and shared by a network of users that spanned the globe. Whenever somebody digitized a track, and connected to the Napster network, the track was added to the shared library. You could find anything there, from the rarest out-of- print 7", to whatever hit single Jimmy Fallon was parodying on SNL that week(to hilarious effect*). Needless to say, it wasn't long before the music industry showered Napster with lawsuits, accusing its creators and users of copyright infringement.

But Napster wasn't just a warehouse full of free stuff. It was a system whose growth depended on the contributions of its users, and so its software included several features to facilitate a community and therefore sustain an active culture of sharing. The Instant Message was one such feature.

Annabelle first messaged me that spring. My screen name was 'Elbowdanginger'; a bizarre amalgamation of my roomate's dogs' nicknames. It was my roomate's computer, and therefore my roomate's Napster program, and therefore she got to call the shots when it came to the screen name. She was but one in a long line of clinically insane pet-owners I've lived with. Again, I digress.

Anyway, one day an instant message box pops up on the screen while I'm sleeping off a hangover on the living room couch. The accompanying, exquisitely annoying electronic 'Bloop' wakes me up. I walk over to the screen, and see this:

ANNABELLE SAYS: Divine Comedy?

I spend a moment considering whether or not I should respond to this apparent non sequitur. I've always been quietly terrified of new people. In my mind every opportunity for socializing is an opportunity for humiliation and hurt feelings. But unlike the phone or mailed correspondence, instant messaging afforded me complete anonymity. And anonymity does more for a man's courage than sixty-four ounces of cheap gin. So I proceeded boldly:

ELBOWDANGINGER SAYS: What?

ANNABELLE SAYS: Divine comedy, a band. u like em?

ELBOWDANGINGER SAYS: I... I don't know.

ANNABELLE SAYS: I see u have their songs. u don't know em?

I looked in my music library. I did have a track by 'Divine Comedy'. They had recorded a version of the Magnetic Fields' 'Famous'. Somewhat appropriately, my relationship with Annabelle started with a cover song.

ELBOWDANGINGER SAYS: Oh, yeah, I got a cover they did of Magnetic Fields. You like Magnetic Fields? I LOVE Magnetic Fields.

...


ANNABELLE SAYS: eh, they ok. Cheesy sometimes, no?



Annabelle and I started corresponding on Napster on a regular basis, trading music and occasionally revealing details about ourselves. She was 21 (I was 25 at the time). She lived in Paris, after running away from Poland as a teenager. She worked at a music magazine called 'Rock Sound' (Seriously, 'Rock Sound'. Isn't it adorable how the French manage to be so sophisticated and so totally unhip at the same time?)

We shared our music collections with each other, and realized we possessed the same predeliction for melodic, moody tunes that tended towards the European and electronic. I mailed her a CD. She mailed me a mix tape and a complimentary copy of the aforementioned periodical(right). I mailed her the postcard from my B.F.A. show. We became friends.

When she offered to send me a photograph of herself, I told her not to. After graduating, I had been somewhat listless; I needed a new project to focus my energy. So I decided I would draw a portrait of Annabelle, using only her written instructions as a guide. I would keep making new drawings until I made one that she felt resembled her.

She liked the idea and agreed to collaborate. So I got some basic information from her (color/length of her hair, color of her eyes, and a short list of public personalities she resembled, or had been told she resembled). With this information, I drew four pages of portraits, with four to five portraits on each page. Here is a page from that first series of drawings from the summer of 2001:

Since english is Anya's third language, we quickly worked out a system in which I would number the drawings so she could easily refer to them when she sent me the corrections. For example, here is the last set of drawings I mailed her, around New Year's 2006:






And here's the set of instructions she sent me last week:



How are u ? I hope everything's fine.
Here r the new drawing features :

nose : #4, 10 n 14. but a little little bit shorter.
eyes : #2, 10, 13
eyebrows : more 12. but the line that goes down starts a little earlier (like 3/4 of the eye).
lips : more 12. but line between the 2 lips doesn't follow the shape of lips in the middle, only in the extremities, which is ok in this drawing.
cheeks : + #10. but a little less shaped- they're well shaped when I smile-
chin : #6, 9, 15
all necks r ok.
hair : lenght is ok. but not that much amount of hait is under. only a few locks shorter in front, and not that shorter (start of the cheek/middle nose)-

I hope all that is clear enough for u, if not, just ask me-


An unfavorable ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court resulted in Napster's demise in late 2001. For the past few years, we've had to use the Microsoft Messenger service to keep in touch. Last week, my PC committed hara-kiri!** , so I've been scrambling to set up a new Yahoo! account so we can send messages between her PC and my new Mac. When she appears online, she's always sporting a different name. One day it's 'Mazzy Star'; the next day it's 'Cupcake', and the next it's 'Luna' or sometimes even the name of her newest boyfriend.

I moved from Columbus to Brooklyn three years ago, and traded up from my old 'Elbowdanginger' handle. Nowadays, I go by plain ol' Pat Palermo.

Here's my drawing for Monday, February 27th.






*We can put a man on the goddamn moon, but we can't invent a font that signifies 'bitter sarcasm'.

**(Japanese) ritual suicide by disembowelment!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Supercool!

Bobcat said...

I finally read it.

Very nice progression, but I want to find out more about 2003!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful collaboration, and funny, too, because the only other place I've seen this type of thing done (drawing by description and narrowing down the choices) is your garden-variety police sketch of some perp, based on the descriptions of the victim/witness. So it's like a crime poster for someone you've never met face-to-face, but would actually (I assume) want to. It IS appropriate that your relationship began with a cover song, because you're doing her portrait, but one step removed. I mean, her own instructions and self-description is already skewed because it's her looking at herself, which every artist knows is hard to capture "objectively" (without overemphasizing or deemphasizing features out of wishful thinking).

I was at the Yerba Buena Center for Contemp. Art in SF last fall, and there was an artist who sat in front of a webcam all day in her home that was tuned in to a computer monitor in the Beautiful Losers show at the art center, where unsuspecting viewers like me would sit down and be asked to have our portrait drawn. She wanted me to draw her portrait, too, sitting there at her kitchen table. So we stared at each other thru the cyberspace (via webcam) and drew each other's face as quickly but accurately as we could, and made small talk. Then we showed each other our pix, and she faxed mine to me (I lost it months later) and I pinned hers up on the wall of the gallery with hundreds of others from other viewer/artists who'd drawn her throughout the week. Your way is like doing that BLIND. Much more intimate. I'm curious about the results.

Professor Mouth said...

Sharky--

Part of the reason I felt I had to post a short history of this project is, recently there was a painting show here in NY by this guy Les Rogers. He did a bunch of paintings of this young woman he met on the internet. And he made a big deal of flying her up to the opening from her homestate of Texas. Ultimately, it seems that his 'portrait/internet girlfriend/correspondence piece' was just a gimmick to sell some pretty unremarkable paintings. But enough people mentioned him to me that I felt I needed to put my stake down, and represent my project with Annabelle.

Tonight I had a pretty in-depth discussion with 'Bobcat' about what the 'end result' of this project might be. I maintain a genuine friendship with Anya, and I'm reluctant to ever 'reveal' her in photographic form. Especially since the whole point of the project, for me, is to showcase the advantages of deferral, and to record a process, not acheive a concrete goal. I have little interest in providing 'proof' of Anya, or measuring my drawings against a photographic record. We'll deal with the next phase of the project when it happens, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughtful responses. You're such a boon to this blog, how did you find it? Do we know each other?

Either way,

Cheers,
P

Anonymous said...

I'd been meaning to see that Les Rogers show, but had no idea of the internet project and trophy Texan involved. I probably missed it. Hard to paint, earn money), blog and see shows all in one lifetime. I need a way to do without sleep!

Thanks for welcoming my responses. I have been resisting the blogs until now, but I really like yours and figured I'd break the silence. I find talk of this sort immensely helpful to my own practice. Keep up the great work/words! And in fact we do know each other, Professor. Mezcal, anyone?

Professor Mouth said...

Hey Sharky...

I'm sorry your open studio fell on the Blizzard of '06... I had planned on going. But I got stuck at a friend's house in Manhattan.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, yes, the whiteout conditions did keep the teeming crowds at bay, but we had a good turnout nonetheless. Needless to say, I am still soliciting talk/critique as much as possible before June (the Reckoning).

Anyway, as I said, great blog. I will visit often.

Anonymous said...

mouth im the anonymous asshole you sparred with before. i like your work now, and i like you now. sorry about before

Professor Mouth said...

Anonymous, is that really you?

No hard feelings, of course. Although I'm kinda disappointed that you're not on a vendetta against me anymore. I was just about to post a provocative portrait of you to perhaps lure you back.

Your unabashed hatred of me really spiced up the site. But, oh well.

Feel free to come back and heckle any time. Or look at my contact info, and email me a link to your work. I'm still curious.

CHEERS!

Anonymous said...

cheap flights Israel

Anonymous said...

Still obsessed over a girl you never met face to face, a girl you first communicated with five or six years ago.

Dude, if you're not married to this lady, why are you still writing about her?